Spring is in the air here in La Puente and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Temp Air System Inc. team has some recommendations that will work to keep your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers – Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home appear as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to correspond with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter – If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share – We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your amazing vacation on social media but try to hold off until after you are back to post anything about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail – The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged – If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to save some energy while you’re away is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat – If you’re on vacation there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat, you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level, so you arrive back in a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to review additional energy-saving tips, give Temp Air System Inc. in La Puente a call.